Thursday, June 27, 2019

How I got into Cyber Security



Hey everyone, my name is Sam, I'm 23, and currently working within the Cyber Security industry. It's an amazing industry that is ever-changing, so no two days are the same! I wanted to share with you my story about how I jumped into this world.



I studied ICT in college, and really enjoyed it. Learning how applications work, how devices talk to each other. It was all crazy. Eventually our course covered a module focus on Security, and despite being very quick and basic, I found myself wanting to know more. I'd spend some free time researching different hacking groups, such as LizardSquad (I remember them taking down Dyn, and DoSing Xbox Live and PSN as a result, pretty cool!) as well as Anonymous, and started reading about state-sponsored groups such as APT 28, and Turla Team.

I went off to University at Plymouth, and studied for a degree in Cyber Security and Forensics. I passed with a 1st degree, and shortly after I started working at PhilmanSecurityInc. I'm currently a junior pen tester, as I realised I preferred breaking stuff (Responsibly!) rather than fixing it.

I love the team here, and both Zach and Dave are great mentors, and constantly help me to develop and expand on my existing skills.

Lots more blog posts coming soon! :)
~ Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow - my blog is really blowing up! Thanks to everyone that has been following me, I'm really glad that you find my posts interesting....